Congratulations to Kelsey Wheeler for winning an NSF fellowship!
Congratulations to Emiko Zumbro on winning first prize in the GSOFT poster prize competition at APS March Meeting!
Welcome to our newest lab member, Caroline Werlang!
Congratulations to Jacob on passing his qualifying exam!
Congratulations to Katharina Ribbeck on receiving the Harold E. Edgerton Award!
Congratulations to Emiko Zumbro for winning an NDSEG fellowship!
Congratulations to Caroline Wagner for winning an NSERC fellowship and to Jacob Witten for winning an NSF fellowship!
Welcome to our newest lab member, Caroline Wagner!
The review "Salivary mucins in host defense and disease prevention" by Erica Shapiro Frenkel and Katharina Ribbeck has just been published in the Journal of Oral Microbiology! Congratulations to Erica and Katharina!
Welcome to our newest lab member, Emiko Zumbro!
The review "Salivary mucins in host defense and disease prevention" by Erica Shapiro Frenkel and Katharina Ribbeck has just been accepted to the Journal of Oral Microbiology! Congratulations to Erica and Katharina!
Two new papers have been published in Advanced Materials Interfaces: "Probing the Role of Mucin-Bound Glycans in Bacterial Repulsion by Mucin Coatings" by Julia Co, Thomas Crouzier, and Katharina Ribbeck, and "Modulating mucin hydration and lubrication by deglycosylation and polyethylene glycol binding" by Thomas Crouzier and Oliver Lieleg. Congratulations to everyone involved!
We received an NSF CAREER award for our lab!
Congratulations to Dr. Julia Co and Dr. Alona Birjiniuk for their amazing thesis defenses!
Welcome to our newest lab member, Jacob Witten!
Congratulations to Dr. Kavanaugh for her fabulous thesis defense!!! We are very proud -- she is the first student to graduate from our lab.
Congratulations to Katharina Ribbeck for receiving the Junior Bose Award for Excellence in Teaching.
-Congrats to Wes for passing his oral quals!!
-A new publication has been accepted in Reviews on Progress in Physics: Material properties of biofilms—a review of methods for understanding permeability and mechanics.
Congratulations to Nicole Billings, Alona Birjiniuk, Tahoura Samad and others!
-A new publication has been accepted in Applied and Environmental Microbiology: Salivary mucins protect surfaces from colonization by cariogenic bacteria
Congratulations to Erica Shapiro!
-A new publication has been accepted in mBio: Mucins Suppress Virulence Traits of Candida albicans.
Congratulations to Nicole Kavanaugh, Angela Zhang and others!
-A new publication has been accepted in Scientific Reports: Zebrafish as a Model to Study Live Mucus Physiology
Congratulations to Irena Jetov and others!
-Katharina was honored as one of Popular Science's Brilliant 10 of 2014!! Congratulations!!
-A new publication has been accepted in Biomacromolecules: Sugar-Mediated Disassembly of Mucin/Lectin Multilayers and Their Use as pH-Tolerant, On-Demand Sacrificial Layers. Congratulations to Roberta Polak, Thomas Crouzier and others!
-A new publication has been accepted in New Journal of Physics: Single particle tracking reveals spatial and dynamic organization of the E. coli biofilm matrix
Congratulations to Alona Birjiniuk, Nicole Billings and others!
-Congratulations to Wes who was awarded a fellowship as part of MIT's Biotechnology Training Program!
-Congratulations to Kate who was awarded an NIH/AIDS travel grant!
-Congratulations to Tahoura for passing quals!
-Congratulations to Tahoura who was awarded a Graduate Research Fellowshipfrom the National Science Foundation!
-Welcome to our newest lab members Kowa Chen and Tahoura Samad!
-Katharina was featured in this month's MIT News Faculty Highlight. Check it out!
- A new publication has been accepted in Biophysical Journal: Spatial configuration and composition of charge modulates transport into a mucin hydrogel barrier
Congratulations to Leon Li, Thomas Crouzier, and others!
- New publications in Biomacromolecules, PLOS ONE, and PLOS Pathogens are in press! Please see the publications page. Congratulations to Thomas Crouzier, Nicole Billings, and Grace Yao!
- Katharina Ribbeck received the 2013 John Kendrew Award for Excellence in Research and Science Communication.
- Congratulations to Dr. Leon Li!!
- We welcome our newest lab member Wesley Chen, a Biological Engineering graduate student!!
- Find us at the 6th ASM Conference on Biofilms in Miami. From September 29th to October 4th.
- A new publication has been accepted in Current Biology: Mucin biopolymers prevent bacterial aggregation by retaining cells in the free-swimming state
Congratulations to all the authors and in particular to Marina Caldara, Ronn Friedlander and Nicole Kavanaugh!!
- Congratulations to Julia who was awarded a Student Traineeship grant from the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation!!
- Congratulations to Thomas and Collin for their latest publication in Biomacromolecules entitled Mucin multilayers assembled through sugar-lectin interactions.
- A short film on the the wonderful world of mucus, written and directed by Andrew Rajczewski is now available. Go see A Mucus Story.
- Congratulations to our own Grace Yao,winner of the BE-BMES Johnson & Johnson Excellence in Biomedical Engineering Research Prize!
- Congratulations to Thomas who was awarded the Marie Curie International Outgoing Fellowships for career development (IOF)
Alumni / Current team
Julia Co (PhD student): now a Postdoc at Stanford in Manuel Amieva’s lab
Nicole Kavanaugh (PhD student): now a Scientist at Aldevron
Nicole Billings (Postdoc): now a Principal Investigator at Draper Laboratory
Kowa Chen (Postdoc)
Alona Birjiniuk (MD-PhD student): now a medical student at Harvard Medical School
Thomas Crouzier (Postdoc): now an Assistant Professor at KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
Oliver Lieleg (Postdoc): now a Professor at Technical University of Munich, Germany
Marina Caldara (Postdoc): now a Postdoc at University of Parma, Italy
Ioana Vladescu (Postdoc): now a Postdoc at Universit
Leon Li (Postdoc): now an Engineer at Northrop Grumman
Maria Ramirez Millan (Undergrad)
Grace Yao (Master’s student)
Irena Jevtov (Postdoc)
Angela Zhang (Undergrad)
Troels Bo Thomsen (Visiting PhD student)
Emily Bloch (Undergrad)
Denise Neibloom (Undergrad)